Who is the session for
Anyone who wants to create an audience on twitter.
Why bother about Twitter
- You can build a network solely based on your clarity and quality of your thoughts.
- Twitter is the instant writing improvement tool that has neer existed for mankind before.
- Twitter is the most amazing networking and learning network ever built - Bill Gurley.
Twitter provides a continuous stream of information. One should be deliberate in his/her consumption choices. 99% of the people only consume. One should build the skill to synthesize the content that is being consumed. (More on this later).
- Lots of people listen to podcasts. But long-form Speeches are under-rated. They have a linear fashion and strong story telling.
- A good recommendation for a long-form speech is Charlie Munger’s “The Psychology of Human Misjudgement”.
- They both loved James Clear’s book: Atomic Habits. It has a lot of insights and is clearly influenced by writing on internet.
How to write good tweet
- Compression: Make the tweet as concise as possible.
- Simplicity: People don’t read on twitter. They browse. Keep it simple.
- Don’t spam: Definitely no hashtag. They feel spammy.
- Smart: Be kind, generous. Make people smarter with your tweet.
- Novelty: surprise the reader with new and interesting idea.
- Follow: The best way to write good tweet is also to follow great “tweeteers”.
- Read: Read great tweeters.
- Individuals: follow individuals, not publications.
- Infuencer: Find one person you like and see who they follow, to build a list of great tweeters.
- Cull: Unfollow stressors and spammers.
How to create a good twitter presence
Matthew Kobach: People treat social media interactions the same way they treat real-life interactions. Helpful people are valued whereas self-serving people are ignored.
David Perell: If you want to improve your writing, start taking notes. Here’s why: Note-taking isn’t about saving ideas. It is about having conversations with your past and future self - so you can develop ideas over time.
- Every tweet should have one idea.
- Lists are good and easy to read.
- On twitter, your presentation is as important as the content.
- Reply to people who have big followings. Ensure your reply adds lots of value to the conversation.
- Profile description matters.
- Answer Key strategy questions.
- Why are you posting?
- What are you trying to achieve?
- You need clear goals on what success means .
- Why are you posting?
- You need clear answers for the following:
- Someone should follow me because <>
- I will only post about <>, <> and <>
- These are the regular content segments I will create to convey my key messaages: <>, <> and <>
- You have to be unbelievably niche. Start small.
- You need to post a lot.
- Start by posting continuously for 30 days.
- Analyze the data and see what resonated.
- The sum is greater than parts. Network effects kick in. Add value in every single tweet. Regularly.
- Use internet to shrink the world.
- Be a lighthouse for like-minded people.